Sunday, April 17, 2011

Banana Loaf from Hummingbird Bakery

Singlish Swenglish Banana Loaf from Hummingbird bakery recipe

The counter to the left of my blog shows me where the people who last viewed my blog comes from and I have seen a few from outside of Lund, from other parts of Sweden and I recently found out why after a whole hectic week of seminars - some of my classmates from other university on the same course have been catching up on my blogging! That's really encouraging and makes me want to catch up even more on my backlog because the food pictures I take always seems to be more than the number of blogs I manage to update. So here it comes, the first being a banana loaf from a recipe from Hummingbird Bakery. My equally-enthusiastic-about-cooking/food friend Sylvia sent it to me quite a while ago (in April 2010 in fact) and I never got around making it until recently, and I have made it a few times since. The difference about this banana loaf from the ones from Asia I would say will be the addition of ginger and cinnamon powder. It does give the cake a depth but not overpowering the original intention of banana cakes - to enjoy overripe bananas in a new way! My mother-in-law likes it because she says it's not too sweet.This can easily be baked in cupcakes form instead I think and definitely goes on my blog as a keeper.

Ingredients (Makes 1 loaf on a 23x13 inch loaf tin)
270g brown sugar
2 eggs
200g peeled bananas (about 2-3 medium size ones)
280g plain flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon bicarbonate soda
1 teaspoon ginger powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
140g butter melted

Steps
  1. Beat the sugar and eggs together in a bowl until well mixed, then add in the mashed bananas. Preheat the oven at 170°C.
  2. Add in the baking powder, bicarbonate soda, ginger and cinnamon powder and flour to the mix until well incorporated.
  3. Mixed in the melted butter last and pour into a buttered loaf tin and try to smooth the top part as much as you can and bake for an hour or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted in the middle of the cake.
  4. Let it cool slightly in the tin before taking it out and cool completely on a rack.
Singlish Swenglish Banana Loaf from Hummingbird bakery recipe
 


No comments:

Post a Comment