Saturday, October 27, 2012

Chee Cheong Fan (Steamed Rice Rolls)


IMG_1753


About one more month before a long overdue visit back to Singapore! Meanwhile, this breakfast item was made using the recipe from My Kitchen Snippets. Rather than going through the trouble of making the sesame sauce which, to me is the most important part of chee cheong fan, I got my sister to bring me a bottle of this sesame sauce from Kwong Woh Hing. I highly recommend this for chee cheong fan sauce or if you like it on your niang tofu etc. It's not too expensive either but you have to order a certain amount before they deliver and it's not really available on normal stores. Their thick dark soy sauce is also perfect for half-boiled eggs.

Ingredients
150g rice flour
1½ tbsp wheat starch
2 tbsp cornstarch
1 tbsp Oil
450ml water
½ tsp salt
toasted sesame seeds
2 tablespoons of Kwong Woh Hing sesame sauce diluted with 1 tablespoon of hot water

Steps
  1. Mix the dry ingredients together first in a bowl before adding the water, stirring it well so no lumps are formed. Add the salt and oil last and set aside for at least 30 minutes.
  2. Meanwhile, prepare your steamer. For me, I use two lightly oiled metal plates that fits snugly on top of a steaming rack for my pot and interchange them while steaming. Always heat up the plate first in the steamer before pouring in the batter for about a minute. I have a small ladle that produces just the right thickness of chee cheong fan, so you might need to adjust accordingly for the right amount for the size of the plate you are using.

    IMG_1740
  3. Steam the batter for about 2-3 minutes (cover it with the pot cover), then remove it and let it cool before rolling up the rice sheet.

    IMG_1742

    IMG_1743

    IMG_1744

    IMG_1746

    IMG_1748
  4. Slices/cut it with scissors, pour over the sesame seed sauce and some fried shallots and some toasted sesame seeds if preferred.

    IMG_1750
     
    IMG_1751

No comments:

Post a Comment